Congratulations! You now have a capsule menu! You can feed your family real food for most meals with minimal thought and effort! You feel like you finally have life [more] under control…until the church secretary calls and asks you to bring a salad for a funeral, tomorrow. Or your daughter volunteers you to “make treats” for her class. Or your husband offers you to host a surprise party for a friend. Uh oh…now what do you do!?
The next step to having a great Capsule Menu is to have a list of “go-to” dishes for [most] of life’s spur-of-the-moment chaos regarding food.
First, think of some categories
Categories that fit most “food related emergencies'” in your life. My categories are:
- Easy travel meals
- Potluck dishes
- Desserts to share
- Feeding a crowd
- Snack time
Next, think of one or two (or more) meals/dishes that fit into each of your categories.
(They CAN be meals that are already on your capsule menu.) Remember, each meal/dish that you list should be something that is quick and easy for you to make and requires little in the way of ingredients you don’t always keep on hand. Bonus points for choosing dishes that are a bit “different” from the norm (think, your personal specialty dishes).
Here is my list:
- Easy Travel Meals:
- Chicken Ranch Wraps
- Egg Salad
- Pea Salad with Chicken
- Potluck Dishes
- Black Beans and Rice (Gluten Free & Dairy Free)
- Pea Salad (Gluten Free)
- Cauliflower “Fo-tato” Salad (Gluten Free)
- Desserts to Share
- Chocolate Cranberry Oat Bars
- Grandma Healey’s Ginger Cookies
- Brownie Pudding Cake
- Special Agent Cake (Gluten Free & THM S)
- Volcano Mud Slide Muffins (Gluten and Dairy Free & THM S)
- Feeding a Crowd
- Haystacks (this is my ultimate go-to for feeding large groups, can also easily be allergen-free…this meal deserves its own post!)
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup (easy to make a large batch to feed your family and share with another family)
- Lorretta’s Amazing Meatloaf (also easy to make times two to feed your family and gift another family)
- Snack Time
- Veggies & Dip (PB or Ranch)
- Fruit and PB or nuts or cheese
Finally, post this list.
Keep this list with your capsule menu so you are ready for all “food emergencies”!
What is your favorite “go-to” dish?