Every family has its own schedules, routines and systems; some are intentional and some are not. The key to keeping life simple (or to simplifying life) comes when we are intentional in planning and implementing the schedules, routines and systems of our family.
For ease of use, here are the definitions we will use: (Thanks Dictionary.com!)
1. a plan of procedure, usually written, for a proposed objective, especially with reference to the sequence of and time allotted for each item or operation necessary to its completion.
2. a series of things to be done or of events to occur at or during a particular time or period.
1. a customary or regular course of procedure.
2. commonplace tasks, chores, or duties as must be done regularly or at specified intervals; typical or everyday activity.
3. regular, unvarying, habitual, unimaginative, or rote procedure
4. and unvarying and constantly repeated formula; convenient or predictable response
Like the alphabet…things happen in a specific order:
1. An ordered and comprehensive assemblage of facts, principles, doctrines, or the like in a particular field of knowledge or thought.
2. a coordinated body of methods or a scheme or plan of procedure; organizational scheme.
Like our body systems…interconnected routines to keeping us healthy:
We don’t have very many strict schedules at our house; all the strict time-sensitive schedules happen because of schedules set by other people: Sunday School starts at 9:30am, BSF starts at 9:10am.
Our scheduled events are a bit more fluid…and may cross the border from “schedule” over into “routine”: Lunch happens at around noon, supper happens at sometime between 5:30 and 6:30pm, bedtime is around 8:30pm.
I’ll be sharing some of our routines and systems that make life easier for us. These may or may not work for you and for your family. My goal is to give you ideas to develop your own routines and systems to make your family life easier…because everyone likes some things to be predictable, especially highly sensitive kids. A workable system keeps the basic necessities “running” during busy or stressful life changes/happenings.
What are some schedules, routines and systems that you use in your home…intentionally or unintentionally?